From the history book       Book at booking.com     In Norwegian

 

With roots back before
the Viking Age


For 250 years after 1600 Andvord served as a local courthouse. The old courtroom is on the first floor of the main house and is now as a conference room for seminars.

In the 18th and 19th centuries, Uppigard and Nordgard were sold out of the family, and Sygard was the only remaining odel farm springing from the original estate when it was sold to the municipality of Lom in 1974. However, there were clear signs of the buildings being left to rot, when the brothers Richard and Michel Andvord took responsibily, and bought it back to the family in 2003. Thereafter the old buildings were rehabilitated in accordance with old traditions and by the supervision of NIKU – the Norwegian Instute of Cultural Research. The result is craftmanship of supreme standard executed by the local company Stokk & Stein.

To-day, the Andvord farm serves as a small hotel for closed groups but is also open for the general public some weeks each summer. The premise is known for her private and exclusive touch and exquisite food.

Phone  +47 98220375   Fax: +47 61600557
Mail: post@andvordgard.no


 



The Andvord farm is considered to be one of the four original farms in the area. Its roots go back to before the Viking Age. According to a local legend, six people are said to have used materials from an old pagan site of worship on the property to build the first church on Mo, where the stave church in Lom stands to-day.

The first written mention of Andvord is found in a certificate from 1312 concerning a boundary dispute with Mo, the Vicarage. Here Andvord is referred to as the grand farm (myklæ gæirda). In those days prominent farms would include vast areas, and Andvord streched from Mo to Aukrust further down the Bøver-valley.

Andvord is mentioned in several written sources in the 14th century. The first known owner of the proporty was Pål Andvord (Pall j Andurdu). His signet, a lily over two six-pointed stars, is known from a document in 1333. The documents are written on leather, the sort of open, legal letters in which a group of prominent men would announce important undertakings and decisions to the general public. Both the use of a seal, and Pål’s position on the document, have caused source examiners to assume that Pål Andvord belonged to the body of the King’s men called Gjest.

The Andvord proporty remained intact throughout the 14th century, but was devided in two farms in 1528 – Sygard and Uppigard.The latter was again devided. From 1645 Andvord consisted of Uppergard, Nordgard and Sygard. At its most extensive, 18 tenant and crofter’s farms belonged to the three main farms.